Dec 03_12 ISAB Webportal presentation
Here are some comments from members attending:
- Get a consult from an actual web designer.
- Give it its own name: CaryWater.com.
- Get some help on making the info graphics much more compelling.
- The site design is outdated and not engaging.
- The look and feel does not invite the user and it provides too many choices for navigation. There are at least 4 “nav bars” on the web site. Navigation should be unambiguous and concisely and prominently located.
- The modern web uses immersive imagery and colors that render true on the screen.
- The misuse of color and arbitrary font usage is disturbing and can be confusing to the user. If the color of the graphs means nothing, then the graphs should not be colored. It’s really that simple. Don’t try to convey information where none is present. A better idea would be to use color to indicate something.
- The average data should not be calculated in realtime from the 6 million daily readings. Instead the town should ask for *optional* demographic data from each resident and then build weekly (or so) averages
- While the current Aquastar site will be hugely useful to some people, it needs to incorporate more “call to action” items.
Role of the ISAB
- But instead of talking about the details of a website, you should be talking about the concept for a good website.
- I am concerned that the Town is using the ISAM (or any board) for basic design decisions. User Interface design is a well-defined area of research and practice and it should be left to professionals skilled in the art.
Other Sites to Consider
Please fill out the 3 minute survey for sustainabiity: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NKQ5K5Q
Based on several ideas by TTF members, and my own thoughts and ideas, I put the following items together for consideration by council for potential action items sustainability of citizen input for the Town on TTF-related matters. Continue reading
I also put it on basecamp this is still draft